In July and August, our flagship the M/Y Steve Irwin, travelled up the east coast of Australia to Abbot Point, to oppose the Adani Carmichael coal mine, rail link and coal port. Our position was made clear - Australia will not trade the Great Barrier Reef with one of the world’s biggest and most destructive coalmines.
Why Stop Adani?
Climate change threatens not only our oceans but our very way of life.
- Adani expects to produce 2.3 billion tonnes of coal over 60 years, mainly for export to India, whilst pumping 4.7 billion tonnes of planet warming greenhouse gas emissions into the atmosphere.
- Mining, burning and exporting coal is the key contribution Australia makes to this global crisis.
- Australia is the largest exporter of coal in the world. We literally export climate change to the world.
- If it goes ahead, Adani’s mine would be Australia’s biggest ever coal mine and one of the largest in the world.
The Great Barrier Reef
Australia's much-loved natural icon, the Great Barrier Reef, is home to thousands of reefs, hundreds of islands and over 600 types of corals, colourful fish, molluscs, starfish, plus endangered turtles, dolphins, whales and sharks.
But the reef is under serious threat.
Development of the proposed Carmichael Adani coal mine, rail link and coal port would require a massive dredging program – right through the heart of the reef – and bring an extra 500 coal ships through the Great Barrier Reef each year. Burning the coal, no matter where in the world, will worsen climate change which is already causing the reef to bleach and die.
- Unprecedented bleaching events on the Great Barrier Reef in 2016 and 2017 resulted in mass coral mortality. 30% of the coral is now dead, thanks to climate change, which coal is largely responsible for.
- By 2034, the extreme ocean temperatures that led to the 2016 and 2017 bleaching events may occur every two years.
- The return period for global bleaching events has decreased from 27 years in the 1980s to only 5.9 years now.
Adani’s new coal will only exacerbate these impacts, signing the death certificate for our Great Barrier Reef.
JOIN US – watch the M/Y Steve Irwin sail in to Circular Quay to launch Operation Reef Defence:
Operation Reef Defence Dates
Ports of Call: SYDNEY 20-22 July | BRISBANE 29-30 July
Free Ship Tours in Sydney
July 21: 10am - 4pm | July 22: 10am - 4pm
Due to weather conditions that will delay the ship's arrival into Sydney, Free Ship Tours on Friday, July 20 have been cancelled. We're sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused.
Free Ship Tours in Brisbane on 29-30 July: Between 11am - 5pm
Ship at Anchor: COFFS HARBOUR 24 July | BYRON BAY 27 July
GOLD COAST 28 July | NOOSA 31 July | AGNES WATER 2 August | YEPPOON 4 August | MACKAY 5 August | AIRLIE BEACH 7 August
ABBOT POINT 8 August
Please click on the tour map to make it larger.
Latest Campaign News
Sea Shepherd’s Steve Irwin vessel joins Mackay community in defence of our Great Barrier Reef
Sea Shepherd joins Yeppoon in defence of our Great Barrier Reef
Steve Irwin joins Agnes Water - 1770 in the fight for our Great Barrier Reef
Sea Shepherd vessel hits Sunshine Coast, Noosa, in defence of Great Barrier Reef
The Veronicas, Xavier Rudd and Jo Beth Taylor rally with Sea Shepherd in defence of our Great…
Sea Shepherd’s M/Y Steve Irwin vessel joins Gold Coast community’s fight for Australia’s Great…
Adani ready to go - rail line is last piece in puzzle | The Courier Mail | July 18
Adani coal port under threat of stop order amid concern for sacred sites | The Guardian | June 28
Adani's plans to protect desert springs are worthless, water experts say | ABC Local | June 12
Adani says 450% bigger Carmichael mine does not need a new review | The Guardian | June 12
Stop Adani movement kicks off 2018 with parliament protest | The Guardian | February 14
Adani should not get a loan | Brisbane Times | November 8
Stop Adani campaign to hit top gear ahead of Queensland election | The Australian | November 6
Adani activists spell out grievance | Townsville Bulletin, October 9, 2017
Thousands take to the streets with chants of Adani Go Home! | India Today, October 9, 2017
You can follow the campaign by searching for #StopAdani on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.